Friday, February 12, 2010

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

So I stayed up to watch the Olympic Opening Ceremonies and I have to say I was very impressed. It was unfortunate that not all of the tiers on the torch rose but to be honest the ceremonies were amazing. They showcased Canadian culture in a way that puts this blog to shame! The music, the dancing, the light show and fire shows! All fantastic! I especially liked the tributes to First Nations groups. What I was not impressed with was the commentary on NBC and perhaps even more so the commercial breaks! Show the sponsors before or after but don't break up live footage of the Olympics! Really!!!

Although I am sure I'll have lots more to say in the days to come I am writing this tonight because I wanted to draw your attention to one person who was a part of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies. He is the British Columbian beat-poet Shane Koyczan. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was back in first year English at Okanagan College in Kelowna, British Columbia. Shane Koyczan put on a show for us. My prof that year was a wonderful woman who chose mostly local poets for us to study in class. She had in fact taught Shane creative writing at Okanagan College. Check him out on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/shanekoyczanandtheshortstorylong

That all said let us remember Georgia's luge athlete Nodar Kumaritashvili who sadly had a fatal accident in practice and now will not be able to cherish the memories of the 21st Olympic Winter Games. The hearts of the world mourn for him and his country tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment